GREECE PLACES TO VISIT
Basic information about Greece &
What you need to know about Greece
Greece has been one of the most important cultural heritage centers since ancient times, where philosophy and mathematics were born. Greece, which hosted the Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine and Ottoman periods respectively, became independent in 1830.
The experiences of many different cultures and civilizations are certainly felt in the unique spirit of Greece. Greece is also one of the countries with the highest number of tourists. In particular, the Greek islands have been one of the most popular places in the world in the summer.
It is obvious why Greece attracts so many tourists. Visiting the lands where many respected writers and thinkers live in the field of culture and arts is one of the leading reasons. In the summer, it is Greece's attractive with its natural beauty, and at the same time it is at a very different point among other European countries with its sense of entertainment. Every country has its own style, of course, but besides the historical scent, Greece, where you are looking for some entertainment, is a route you should take for your trip plans.
Short notes in Greece Travel Guide:
The history of Greece goes back a long way, we don't want to talk about it all and be like a history lesson. To sum up, Greece has lived under the rule of many empires throughout history, such as Alexander the Great, Roman, Byzantine, Slavs and Ottomans.
With the French Revolution, it was the Greeks who gained their first independence after the trend of nationalism that began to take effect in Europe. In 1821, it was separated from the Ottoman Empire by taking the name of the Greek Kingdom.
Where is Greece?
South East Europe, located in Greece, Albania, Bulgaria, Macedonia and Turkey is bordered by. In addition, around 100 islands in the Aegean Sea belong to Greece.
Languages spoken in Greece
The official language of Greece is Greek. But beware, you may encounter many Turkish-speaking people due to the exchange period. Most people in the service industry speak English, so it is not possible to experience language difficulties in the country.
If you want to learn a few words of Greek he will be pleasantly gone;
Efharisto = Thank you
Yamas = Cheers
Weather of Greece
Mediterranean climate prevails in Greece and all Greek islands. Therefore, the air is mist. It should be noted that in the summer, July and August can be extremely hot. The sea season lasts for a long time from May to October, which is one of the beauties of Greece.
The currency of Greece is the Euro, as is the case in many member states of the European Union. Although the debate on whether to exit the Eurozone or not, let us know that it has not yet.
The capital of Greece
The capital of Greece is Athens. Athens is one of the most tourist-taking, cosmopolitan cities in the world. There are so many reasons why it's on the list of special cities around the world! The Acropolis is just one of them.
Greece Travel Guide
This article, which we have prepared as a Greece travel guide, covers all the information that may be useful when planning your trip to Greece. In this article, we think that the currency of Yunasitan, the language of Greece and famous Greek writers will be useful before and during your trip to Greece.
Greece travel guide can be grouped under several headings. We can group them as culture-art, eating-drinking, summer holiday in the most general form. For historical and artistic trips, Athens will be the right address for the capital, for the summer vacation plans also of course the Greek Islands
Here is a list of places to see in Greece.
- Athens – has been the capital of Greece since ancient Greece. We cannot finish by explaining the cultural heritage of Athens, it is best to visit the ancient city of Acropolis. The flavors of Greek cuisine, which is not very foreign to us, will also be a bonus for your visit to Athens.
- Thessaloniki – The house where Atatürk was born is located in Thessaloniki, where you can visit the house that has been turned into a museum. That is why the location of Thessaloniki is very different for us.
- Greek Islands: Each of the Greek Islands is beautiful. Simi, Rhodes, Chios, Samos, Spetses, Leros, Crete, Mytilene and more … We are very lucky because we can only get to these islands with 1 ferry. Be sure to read our article https://www.filgezi.com/mutlaka-gitmeniz-gereken-en-guzel-yunan-adalari-rehberi/ when making your summer holiday plans.
- Halkidiki: Halkidiki, a peninsula that you can easily reach by car, is a popular summer destination especially in recent years. Read our article on how to get to Halkidiki and what to do in Halkidiki: Halkidiki Travel Guide
We have prepared a list of things to do in Greece that we can say not to return without doing in Greece.
- Take a taste of Greece's famous drink, ouzo, which is similar to raki itself.
- Read Zorba by Nicos Kazancakis, one of the best Greek literature.
- Taste the flavors of Greek cuisine, especially seafood.
- Examine the artifacts from Anrik Age.
- The Greeks are very good in the iced coffee business, for the fredo cappucino with cream which we crave when writing.
- Enjoy the beautiful beaches or bays of the Greek Islands.
Things to Do in Greece
Greece is the subject of a separate article to visit. But at first glance, the following routes can be listed in Greece.
- Athens capital, historical city with ruins from antiquity
- To see Atatürk's House Thessaloniki
- Summer vacation plans for Greek islands
- Greek Cuisine for the unique tastes and relaxation of Alexandroupolis
When to get to Greece?
Going to Greece is always a good idea. But in the heat of summer, it may be difficult to visit the Acropolis, the ancient city of Athens. So actually the seasons may vary according to the city to visit.
The summer months are of course the ideal time for the Greek islands, the sea season continues from May to October, and in winter, there is hardly anyone outside the island. For Athens, Thessaloniki and Alexandroupolis, the spring months are the most preferred months. It is also one of the preferred routes for Christmas.
How to get to Greece?
There are different options for transportation to Greece. Athens, Thessaloniki, Mykonos and Rhodes' a, you will find direct flights from Turkey. In the summer months, there are ferries to the Greek Islands, Bodrum, Kusadasi, Cesme, Marmaris and Fethiye. Greece, which borders with Turkey 'a, we think very enjoyable able to go with the car.
If you wonder how to get abroad with a private vehicle, please read our article.
As a last transportation option, there are also bus services from Istanbul, tickets are very cheap but it is a painful journey.
Greece is one of the member states of Schengen. You can travel to Greece with a Schengen visa. You can get all the details about how to get a Schengen visa in Greece from our article on the link.
What to eat in Greece?
We came to the most delicious part of our article Greek Cuisine is one of the most beautiful cuisines in the world and no stranger to us. It is possible to find tastes that will appeal to all tastes in Greek Cuisine based on Mediterranean Cuisine. It is a kitchen with olive oil, seafood and red meat.
Although we do not know how it comes from the same sea, but the shrimp, octopus and squid in Greece tastes another good. We think it's a matter of cooking. Of course, there is ouzos that accompany these delicious dishes. It is a very similar drink to our raki, but the alcohol content is much lower and has a more sugary taste. Loving loves, loves not drink at all, definitely try and make the decision while you are gone.
- Feta cheese – We love to simulate everything as we do or we will. Feta cheese looks like the white cheese we have. They make a very good start with these cheeses. Sandwich inside is also nice. Our favorite is fried feta cheese with sesame and honey after being fried.
- Tzatsiki – E you can say this is the tyranny we know. In fact, it looks like yes, it is a kind of tzatziki that is prepared more viscous than it is diluted. We love it because it refreshes us, we eat plenty.
- Greek Salad – When you look at cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, feta cheese, but formally the perfect complement to the dishes.
- Octapus – The octopus we know, but let's write that when you go, do not forget to eat. Everything can be grilled beautifully or cooked in a pot with wine.
- Fried zucchini – Well, that's the usual pumpkin fries, but the thinly sliced zucchini is fried using a non-weighting fat after eating. There's always another serving on the table.
- Frappe – the famous iced coffee of the Greeks. It is going very well especially in summer. Nescafeyle preparing. Obviously we drank frappe for many years but when we met with fredo cappucino with cream, our preference changed.
- Mastika – Chewing gum liqueur is usually served on the after-dinner table. People drink and drink, but attention to the amount of alcohol
Of course it doesn't stop writing Greek flavors. There are also special tastes of the region. For example, if you go to Simi, you should definitely eat Simi shrimp, then if you want to go to Simi just to eat again.